Woolloongabba station construction update
This month, it’s all about breakthroughs. The roadheaders have successfully broken through at the Boggo Road station worksite, marking completion of mined tunnel excavation south from Woolloongabba. The Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) Else and Merle will breakthrough at the Northern Tunnel Portal later this year, completing bored tunnelling for the project.
Jump form system on its way up within the station box
Details of work
Tunnelling and station box – Ongoing until late 2021
- TBM 1 Else and TBM 2 Merle tunnelling continues from the Roma Street underground station worksite towards the Northern Tunnel Portal at Spring Hill. Both TBMs will breakthrough by the end of the year.
- Cross passage excavation in the TBM tunnels continues in the city and Roma Street area.
- Roadheader excavation and cross passage works are now complete in the mined tunnels.
- Permanent works in the mined tunnels including waterproofing will continue for the remainder of the year.
- Works continue on the station platform and associated structures in the southern cavern.
- Back of house level B7 in the station box has now been poured and another back of house level (B4) will be completed this month.
- The jump form system has completed eight out of 17 lifts in total to date. Throughout October, the jump form will start to rise out of the station box and be visible to the community.
- Station fit-out works will also start in the basement level and back of house works will start in the southern cavern.
Spoil haulage and deliveries – Ongoing until late 2021 due to tunnelling activities
- Spoil removal from TBM and roadheader excavation continues 24 hours, with spoil conveyed to the acoustic spoil shed where it is stored, ready for transportation*. This work will continue until all tunnelling related activities are complete.
- Out-of-hours oversized equipment such as precast segments and tunnelling machine deliveries continue in and out of the Woolloongabba site*.
*Please note this excludes peak hours Monday to Friday 7:00am – 9:00am and 4:30pm – 6:30pm.
Surface works – Ongoing until end of project
- Assembly of formwork for the mined tunnels continues.
- Utility, survey and geotechnical works in and around the Woolloongabba site.
- Delivery and mobilisation of large plant and vehicles.
Key: construction work hours
Standard construction hours
6:30am to 6:30pm, Monday to Saturday.
Out of hours works
Some activities will be completed out of normal construction hours, 6:30pm to 6:30am, due to traffic permits, safety requirements and construction methodology.
Nearby residents will be notified in advance via letterbox drop.
Tunnelling and tunnelling support activities are undertaken 24 hours a day.
Roadheader breakthrough at the Boggo Road worksite
What to expect
- Potential noise, dust and vibration from construction activities both underground in the tunnels and on the surface of the site.
- Temporary lighting for out-of-hours works in the station box and decline.
- TBM operation and support including spoil removal via conveyor to the spoil shed.
- Removal of excavated material during approved haulage hours by trucks. Dust suppression is undertaken regularly using a range of methods including water trucks on site.
- 24-hour ongoing underground excavation in the TBM tunnels and for cross passage excavation.
- Continued utility investigations, surveying, geotechnical works and service relocation activities both on and off site.
- Out-of-hours deliveries of large trucks and plant. This may also include mobilisation and set up. Short term road closures in the area may also be required.
Work is subject to relevant approvals and suitable weather conditions.
Tunnelling progress as at 28 September 2021
Haulage at Woolloongabba
Cross River Rail proposes that in the event a COVID19 public health direction is announced for the Brisbane local government area or Brisbane central business district, the morning and afternoon peak haulage restrictions be relaxed at the Woolloongabba worksite.
If you have any comments or concerns relating to this proposed change please contact the project team on 1800 010 875 or [email protected]
Additional notification will be provided prior to commencing haulage or deliveries at these proposed hours.
SAVE THE DATE!
The Cross River Rail project reached a major milestone this month with the completion of roadheader tunnelling from the Woolloongabba to Boggo Road worksite.
To say thank you for your patience and provide an update on what’s next for the project, we invite you to enjoy a coffee on us – Friday, 22 October 2021 (7am – 9am) on the corner of Lockhart St and Fleurs St, Woolloongabba.
Originally published on the Cross River Rail website here.