Having trains run all year to the RNA Showgrounds precinct is a step closer, with construction commencing for the new Exhibition station as part of Cross River Rail works.
The new station will benefit local residents and businesses; staff and visitors at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital; and the thousands of people who flock to the Ekka, the Convention Centre, local bars and restaurants, and other nearby attractions.
Following an invitation for feedback earlier this year and more than 300 community submissions, the station’s design was upgraded to tie it in more closely with the precinct’s look and feel, allow greater disability access, and enhance sun protection on the platform.
More than 75 people are expected to work on the station during the peak of construction, providing a welcome boost for the state’s economy when it’s needed most.
Cross River Rail is injecting more than $4 million a day into the local economy and is keeping more than 2,400 workers in jobs.
While underground tunnelling works have begun at Cross River Rail’s Woolloongabba, Albert Street and Roma Street station site, there is also extensive work being done above ground for the project.
Significants works are underway along the project’s rail corridor, including Mayne Yard, and the site of the northern tunnel portal between Roma Street and the Exhibitions stations.
For more information, visit our Exhibition station page.
Exhibition fast facts:
- The new Exhibition station will have a new island platform with two platforms for multidirectional travel;
- A pedestrian link will connect the station to Bowen Bridge Road;
- The design includes lifts to the island platform to improve accessibility, movement and safety;
- Community consultation on the station design was conducted in January and February 2020; and
- Some demolition works of redundant structures within the station footprint have already been completed, while demolition of the existing western station platform will commence in December.
An official update from Cross River Rail. View HERE.